Guide to Releasing Mixtapes & Remixes

Posted by Shawn Folk on

  Licenses Needed The challenge with officially releasing Remixes is attaining the necessary licenses. There are two different sets of licenses you need: Publishing - You have what’s called a Compulsory license where songwriters are required to grant permission for usage of their work. As long as you inform the songwriter and pay the mechanical royalties, they effectively can’t say no - unless you’ve drastically changed the work. All you have to do is inform the songwriters of your intent to use their work and pay them mechanical royalties for the use. This can be handled through Agencies like the...

Read more →